Monday, June 20, 2011

What I didn’t know?



Abuse in any form is an abomination! The deeper question that I have been asking myself is why do we not speak up? What is created inside us that renders us incapable of speaking up? Why do some people speak up and other suffer in silence?

Let me speak for myself, when I first experienced sexual abuse I did not know what was going on. I was 6 for crying out loud! I felt dirty and ashamed. I was never taught that I should tell someone if my body is touched in any way that makes me feel uncomfortable. In an irony twist as a counselor I educated families the importance of being aware of who is around your kids and taught youth as young as 5 years old what to do if someone tries to touch your body. I wondered what would have happened to me if I was taught this exercise. Honestly, I did not know what happened to me was dead wrong until I came to America. I just lived with it like was just part of my life.

Child abuse here in America was all over the news and teachers and parents alike had a dialogue about abuse. Even though it still happens but the awareness is far greater in the states than in Nigeria.
It is very important to create an open dialogue with the kids around you so that they will know that their body is a temple and should not be violate in any way. These lessons are the beginning of building self worth in our kids. If you are not open to talk to your kids about abuse when will you be open to discuss these things? Let us not wait until it is too late then start playing the blame game.


If you so happen to find yourself in a situation that abuse has occurred take whatever steps are necessary to rebuild your child even though the damage will be done but try and salvage the situation. Never sweep abuse under the rug!! If your child comes to you and says that he or she was touched do whatever you have to help that child work through it!!!
Peace world and more grease to your elbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...