Thursday, January 20, 2011

You awakened the light in me!



Early years in West Palm! Oh my how I have changed!!
      We never realize when we do or say something that leaves a lasting impression on someone else. I remember my first year in West Palm Beach Florida. I had just moved into my first apartment (Panther Park in Lake Worth, Fl. I had just met my new neighbors/ roommates (because we all ended up moving in together) who would later become my partners on crime. Anyway, so students were moving in that weekend because school was starting on Monday.
     My new friends and I were sitting outside watching everyone arriving with families and old friends reconnecting and so on. I will never forget this one particular girl pulled up. She was moving in across the street apparently everyone knew her so they went to say hello, I tagged alone just to see who this girl was that everyone was getting so excited about. I would never forget when she saw me she said wow you’re so beautiful! (By the way I was rocking a brush and go natural hair cut at that time)I said thanks and coward behind my roommate because up until that point no one had ever told me I was beautiful besides my family.
My family told me a thousand times but you know with family it always feels different. Your family is obligated to boost you up. Even if there was something wrong with me, my family would find a way to make it seem not so bad. Like when I felt I had really bad teeth my mom use to say that it was how God made me!! I bugged her so much especially how I use to get teased mercilessly in school about my teeth that I never smiled. Finally my mother allowed me to get braces. Yea!!! (Smiles).
     
Anyways, back from my sidetrack, that comment, that moment forever changed my life. It’s like the lights came on around me and I could see myself for the first time. I still struggled with my self-esteem for years after that but her comment allowed me to see myself for exactly how I looked.  So I guess the lesson is you never know how your words or action impact someone’s life!

This post is dedicated to Sophia Millwood a very strong beautiful woman that made the comment!!

1 comment:

  1. Its amazing when that moment happens. When someone sees you as attractive with credibility. One of the girls I fell deep in love with told me I was handsome. She had a man but at the time it didnt matter. The interesting thing about life is one day you wake up and the opinions of others dont matter and that is true power.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...